Sunday 29 September 2013

An early morning walk up Binsey G/LD-041

Sunday 29th September 2013

A GPX file by MW0WML for this track can be found on the SOTA Mapping Project run by DM1CM
After arriving in Keswick for a family holiday the previous day I ventured out early on Sunday morning on my own to the usual parking place for the 15 minute walk up BInsey. 

The writer enjoying an early morning activation of Binsey G/LD-041
I used a Yaesu FT-1500M FM radio (40 watts) and a vertical dipole mounted on a fishing pole on the 2m 144 MHz VHF to make twelve solid contacts. There was a good path into Northern Ireland (GI), Scotland (GM) and the Isle of Man (GD) with stations exchanging 59 reports both ways:


After 30 minutes operation I headed back to Keswick for my breakfast. As I entered the town in the mobile I heard CQ SOTA on 2m FM. I pulled up immediately and logged G4ONL/P and M0JST/P, the two Victors from Northern Ireland. They were activating Cross Fell G/NP-001 on their way back to the ferry. I was pleased to get them in the mobile log from the lowest part of Keswick by the River Greta bridge on Crosthwaite Road. They were obviously getting out very well indeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment