Wednesday 30 November 2022

More activations in Fuerteventura: Montana del Arena & Montana de Caima

I climbed two more summits in Fuerteventura on 30th November 2022. There were no people here as they weren’t Caldera summits. I only worked one member of the North Yorkshire SOTA Association on my second summit EA8/FU-036. This was Pete M0HQO who lives less than half a mile from my home QTH in Pickering! 20m CW was the band and mode. I had many contacts on both summits - 77 on EA8/FU-031 all on 20m, and 78 Qs from EA8/FU-036. The Flora Fauna 44 crowd found me on both summits I reckon. So many blank names in my Saisie SOTA name file to bother filling in names from QRZ! As many CW operators will know, the operating standards of some of the FF operators leave a lot to be desired. I operate full break in and there were lots of them transmitting at the same time as I was. I only black listed one - he isn’t a SOTA guy - ON5GM - it took me over 2 minutes to actually work the chaser station I was calling thanks to him. He sent me his 73s but he isn’t in my log…

The photos I took aren’t so good. I had an early start so I could get back to the holiday village for my dinner and activate two summits. Both summits took around 30 minutes each to climb. EA8/FU-031 was more unstable ground, like walking up a snow slope, or on crumbly coking coal. EA8/FU-036 was much more stable to walk on and I could actually get a couple of tent pegs driven in to the ground to support my dipole. 15m band was pretty good on the second summit EA8/FU-036 (VE2JCW worked on 15m CW), but clearing the 44 ers on EA8/FU-031 held me on 20m for a long time from my allotted period, so when it eventually dried up on 20m SSB I packed up. I got plenty of S2S Qs on the second summit, and Fabio IK2LEY/P was worked S2S on both. I am having a (Juerg HB9BIN style) “lady day” tomorrow and hope to activate another two in one session on Friday morning, which will be my only day left operating before we go home on Sunday. Thank you to Victor @GI4ONL for two good GPX tracks for todays walking, both summits I believe, where he was the first activator.

Five pics on and around Montana del Arena EA8/FU-031, best I could do, I did not use the toilet / bidet on the way back to the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment