Wednesday 27 November 2013

North Wales - November 2013 Day Two - 5 summits

I stayed overnight at the Abbey Grange Hotel which is at the foot of the Horseshoe Pass.  This was an ideal springboard to activate the popular pair of summits near the Horseshoe Pass.

I woke to a grey day and after my continental breakfast found myself in thick mist at The Ponderosa Cafe and walking on my way up to NW-042 Moel y Gamelin by 0815 am. I was back at my car for a cuppa by 0940 am and then on my way to the wireless station on Cyrn-y-Brain NW-043 which I reached within 30 minutes. There was nothing to see in the mist so I just worked all the stations who called me on both summits and returned to the car as fast as I could. 

Logger32 by Bob Furzer K4CY
Leaving the Ponderosa at 11.00 am I motored north through Ruthin to park on the Clwyd Gate Hotel Car park (Hotel closed Nov 2013). From here I used the Offa's Dyke Path to reach the summit of Moel Gyw GW/NW-053. The pleasant walk, partly in mist via SJ 170571 took me 30 minutes. Before the mist closed in I was able to get one good view of the valley looking down towards the Bathafarn Water Works and Coed Pas-y-nant:


Contacts were hard to come by and I didn't stay long. I completed with 8 stations on 2m FM including Colin G4UXH in Milnthorpe. 

The misty conditions on Moel Gyw  GW/NW-053 on November 27th 2013 
My final two summits, which I hadn't visited before, were the well activated Foel Fenli GW/NW-051 and Moel Famau GW/NW-044. Once again I was in mist and these are the routes I used from the car park at Bwlch Penbarra:


I activated Foel Fenli first as this was the nearest to the car park and worked 7 stations - including Karen 2E0XYL/M who I was delighted to meet in the car park a short time later when I was proceeding to my final summit of Moel Famau. I was glad of the company and the cup of hot coffee which Karen prepared for us on our return. Another 7 contacts complete we bade our farewells and I headed off back home to Yorkshire after a most enjoyable two day trip into Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment